Monday 27 April 2020

Gardens - real life size and miniature ones!

Anyone else found unexpected enjoyment in an activity since lockdown? 
Vintage illustration by Anne Anderson from a delightful book picked up from local charity shop, just before lockdown. 
Well I am pleased to say that I have suddenly found a renewed interest once again in my badly neglected garden. I used to love gardening but in recent times, my enthusiasm has sadly been lacking and I never seemed to have enough time. But since lockdown, everything has changed, I have been out there for hours at a time and am finding it extremely therapeutic.

 I have suddenly found so many odd things so satisfying, such as hacking down brambles and cutting them into tiny pieces in order to cram as much as I could in bin bags, it took me absolutely ages, but now time seems to be irrelevant. And I never thought I would find digging out bindweed and ground elder so enjoyable, how sad is that! 
I have redesigned the old brick area which was first created several years ago, but like everywhere else, had become overrun with weeds and moss.The lungwort is rather pretty this time of year and is rampant in that corner.  
After ridding the area of weeds, I used  recycled black membrane and large redundant pebbles from the other side of the garden, to fill empty patches. Am chuffed with the result. Plus other bits and bobs were added that were lying around, such as some old terracotta tiles leftover from my kitchen floor and a tin chicken which was a present quite some time ago.

My old herb garden that had been situated in the central part of this pebble area had to go as it wasn't working and its position too shady, so I dug it all out. The bare patch was then covered with recycled black membrane and larger pebbles from the other side of the garden. Have decided to keep herbs in pots on the patio instead and in a sunnier position. There is still much to do to get this garden as I really want it, but am determined to keep going with it now...and my aim is to make the garden lower maintenance. 

Whilst looking through files of old photos to add to my KT Miniatures Archive page, I came across the many miniature garden projects that my workshop colleague Robin Britton (now retired) and I created together over several years. Those garden workshop projects have yet to be added to the archive, so as a taster I thought I would add various pictures with some additional info of materials used below, which I hope may interest those of you who like creating. 

Down The Little Old Herb Garden Path Project
Gate made from wood and based on actual design found in a 1920s/30s woodworking book. Old slabs made from recycled cardboard, paint and grouting of sand. Rope edging made from braid and cardboard, then painted. 
Old rusty bolt simply made from cocktail stick, tin foil and paint, stone wall from cardboard and paint, then grouted with sand.   
Bricks were made from sandpaper and the assortment of plants and flowers were made using a variety of materials, including scanned leaves of actual plants and scaled down to size, then printed on paper.
Round The Back Of The Old Gardener's Cottage Project
Fence made from large matchsticks and fuse wire, water carrier made from painted card and purchased plastic wheels, grass is hemp died green.

Down The Little Garden Path Project
Crazy paving made from painted cardboard, compost bin netting made from fabric netting sprayed silver and aged with paint, then filled with dried tea and miniature vegetation including some tiny miniature paper leaves.  Cold frame constructed from wood and clear plastic glazing, then filled with layer of dried tea leaves and tiny pots made from  air drying clay.

Miniature hosta plants made from hand painted leaves scanned,  then scaled down and printed onto paper, each then attached to a thin wire stem.  Slug made from Fimo and given a glue slimey trail!

Over The Little Garden Fence Project
The back of this garden scene was dominated by the hand made wooden fence accurately constructed based on the real thing, and given a heavily aged white painted finish. 


The Little Old Washing Line - Xmas Special Project
Old fashioned coal bunker made from cardboard, grit, wooden strips and paint. Plus painted stones to look like coal.
Washing line made from painted wooden poles, made to look like vintage concrete poles, and wire washing line. Clothes are meant to be Santa's, as this was a Christmas workshop project. 

I hope you have found the miniature garden projects interesting and maybe inspiring enough for you to have a go at making a miniature garden yourself.
Celia 

4 comments:

Robin said...

WOW! Your garden is transformed matie! The brick and pebbled areas look absolutely amazing. You've done brilliantly.

Have to say that of course I enjoyed looking again at some of our garden projects - they were such fun and kicked off my enthusiasm for making miniature plants again. I hope it will encourage others to have some gardening fun - small or large - during the lockdown.
Rx

elizabeth s said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS POST!!!!
Like you, I have been neglecting my RL garden for quite a while nevertheless, Spring is Always my favourite season. I find it encouraging when I see the new growth and the abundance of colour begin to chip away at the dull monotony of winter.
The mini garden and landscape projects which you and Robin have constructed are Right Up My Alley as they have a casual rhythm to them and look and feel entirely realistic. The water carrier from painted card, cold frame, clothes line and slugs, each contributing in a major way to the entire scene.
And I must commend you both on the gate, lock and stone wall, they had me fooled into thinking they were Real, and I love the slabs and the rope border and the moss and wild things growing in between them- every inch of this garden is Enchanting!
Oh I could go on and on about each Amazing Details, but I'll finish my comment the way I began it -
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS POST!
Thank You Celia and Robin! ❤️
I feel motivated to start gardening right away- In miniature!

KT Miniatures said...

Robin - to think it was quite a few years ago that we did all those various garden workshops now, but it seems like only yesterday! We did have great fun doing them. There were several more garden projects that we did, but the ones I included on here were probably my favourite.

Elizabeth, thank you for your lovely comments. I am glad you found this post inspiring, and if you do get around to some miniature gardening...do share photos with us, we would love to see your creations! And anyone else reading this, for that matter.

Most of the materials used are just ordinary everyday materials, a lot of which you would find around your house (or garden). It is amazing what simple things such as a bit of paint, glue, cardboard and tin foil can be made into. I have an assortment of woodwork and handyman books from the 1910 - 1930s eras that have some wonderful instructions for making wooden household and garden items - all picked up from charity shops. Over the years I have been inspired to make several pieces from those books in miniature, such as the gate, old porch and garden table. Robin and I had different skills which when combined, just complemented each other...I love working with wood, and Robin had much skill and knowledge in making miniature flowers/plants. But we would always embark on a lot of research before we began each project, as we tried to aim for realism and authenticity as much as we possibly could. I think Robin would agree, that was just as enjoyable as the actual creating, and we learnt a lot. Celia

Robin said...

Yes Celia - agree with your comment completely. I think it's fair to say neither of us would have produced individually what we acheived together. We learned such a lot from each other and had masses of fun along the way.
I know that Elizabeth is already a skilled miniature gardener....way back blogs. It would be lovely to see some again!!
Rx