Saturday 4 April 2020

Continuing On From Last Post...Two Dinosaur Framed Box Pictures!


This is a continuation on from my last post, where I showed you the two framed scenes I'd made for my granddaughters, and as promised, here are my two grandson's framed pictures. 

Let's just say, they are both into dinosaurs! 

Sadly, all photos that I took when making them were lost when my previous computer crashed at the beginning of January, but I do have pics of the finished items....so you will be able to get the gist, and maybe these pictures could kick start ideas of your own, if you know of any little person into dinosaurs! 
The frames were purchased from Hobbycraft earlier last year in a sale (about 3cm in depth), and the idea for these framed pictures came after purchasing two felt made dinosaurs at a local craft fair. An orange and purple one...very bright but fab, and were so cheap! 
The interior of the frames are accessed from the back but the metal holding tabs were quite fragile, so I really only had one go at the end for clicking the back into place. The background was made up of a layered montage of  prehistoric landscape images found on the internet, and printed onto paper. There were four layers in all and it was a fiddle to get the perspective right but got there in the end. 
Over several weeks I collected toy plastic palm trees, metal dinosaur badges, dinosaur erasers and an assortment of plastic dinosaurs from charity shops and Ebay. Great fun!
This photo is a bit blurred as the light reflected on the glass frontage - sorry about that. 
Most of the smaller dinosaurs I could simply glue into place, although I did have to snap off the back pin from the badges as it made them too bulky. But the most challenging was having to slice the larger plastic dinosaurs in half with a large craft knife, some were of the hard plastic type. I nearly sliced off one or two of my fingers in the process...so if you try that at home, beware and keep your fingers out of the way. 

As a finishing touch I purchased blue painted wooden letters and stuck them on the bottom of the frame...so there you are. My grandsons seemed delighted. 

You could use this concept for all kinds of themes, not just dinosaurs. If you don't have a frame that has much depth then how about using an ordinary picture/photo frame, take the back off, then use a shallow cardboard box to make your scene in. Once finished, glue the box onto the back of the frame. OK, once it is in place you won't be able to add to the scene, but it is equally effective. 

UPDATE OF LAST POST....POWER OF THE INTERNET!
I have received some emails asking what the backing picture was that I used in my granddaughter's room boxes...including an email from a lovely lady from Alaska. It was an image I found on the internet of an old book illustration by Enid Warne Browne. 

If anyone has a go at any of these projects, do feel free to email me photos - would love to see them. 

Meanwhile, I hope you are all ok out there wherever you are and staying safe. 
Celia X

2 comments:

Robin said...

I was lucky enough to see these two pictures in real life, like the ones for the granddaughters and once again they really are fantastic.
I know the little boys were thrilled.
Take care matie.
Rx

KT Miniatures said...

Cheers Robin. It seems like a lifetime ago that you and I had a coffee in our favourite coffee shop! It was only four weeks ago...oh I am pining for one of their hot chocolates with lashings of cream, marshmallows and choccies:) Celia