Saturday 20 May 2023

Maker Of This Stunning Little Carved Wooden Dog Revealed!

I fell in love with this little carved wooden dog, he was so beautifully made, but had no idea of the maker. 

This little dog had clearly been created by a highly skilled person.

The painting and patina is exquisite too. So I was not surprised  that he was snapped up as soon as I put him up for sale...and I am pleased to say that he is going to a very good home. 

Meanwhile, I would like to thank Rosemary for kindly getting in touch, who saw the little dog on my website, and informed me that it had been made by the workshops of Brockenhurst in the 1930s. She said that he would have been part of a hunting set. 


Subsequently, I thoroughly enjoyed doing a little research on who made this dog, and was delighted to find this brilliant video on YouTube. It tells us a brief story about Frank Whittington and his "Forest Toys" which he set up after the first World War.  The toys were all hand carved and painted by Frank and his team of employees. His workshop/small factory was based in Brockenhurst, a large village set within the New Forest in Hampshire, UK. I found this video absolutely fascinating, so I decided to share it with you. If you watch carefully, you will be able to see some of these little dogs amongst the whole array of animals and figures. Truly magical!!

Celia

ktminiatures.com

3 comments:

Robin said...

Absolutely fascinating.
Rx

elizabeth s said...

A Most enjoyable journey! The beagle and the history behind his maker was a pleasure to see, hear and explore.

elizabeth

KT Miniatures said...

Thanks Robin and Elizabeth, glad you enjoyed the video. I have been contacted by Janet in the video who tells me that she has written a book about Forest Toys. Her book can be purchased from rockfordtoys.com. I shall be going to order my copy shortly. :)