Friday 24 February 2017

End Of Another Era...

Well it looks like it is the end of yet another era in the life of the Thame Dolls House & Miniatures Fair. 

Last Saturday the present organisers of Thame Dolls House & Miniatures Fair - Ron & Felicity Holland, announced that it was to be their last and unless a new organiser is prepared to take it on, the event will be no more. I shall always be grateful to them for taking over the organisers mantle from Mr KT and myself  a few years ago, at a difficult time when Mr KT had just been diagnosed with serious illness. But now Ron and Felicity wish to embark on lots of other activities in their retirement and the fair is no longer part of their future plans.  I am sure that many of you who have been to the Thame Dolls House Fair in recent times, would like to join me in wishing them well for the future. And let us hope that there is someone out there who is prepared to take over the event, otherwise it will be no more... and another main UK dolls house fair will bite the dust!

For the well seasoned Thame Fair attendee, it was clearly apparent that attendance was down last Saturday compared to previous years. But I hope that those of you who did come, had a lovely time. 

I understand that the  popular charity sales table and raffle raised an incredible £2314.11, which is a wonderful achievement, and huge credit must go to the team of brilliant volunteers who gave up their time freely as always to work tirelessly throughout the day. 

I enjoyed all the lovely chats and chuckles with customers last Saturday, and it was great to catch up with old friends. To have my ex workshop colleague Robin Briton helping me on my KT Miniatures stand for a couple of hours in the morning, was an added bonus and we did have a laugh!  Plus she amazed me with her knowledge about my products, which shows that she HAD been listening to me over the years when I used to bore her to death about my recent creations or latest antique/vintage acquisitions!:)
Having been away for a few days break directly after the fair, I am now back at my desk and undertaking the annual post fair stocktake. Once that is complete, I will embark on the usual listing of unsold stock from the fair, beginning with my handmade items.
CeliaX


5 comments:

Robin said...

I SO enjoyed myself!!!!
Rx

The grandmommy said...

This makes me sad even though I am on the other side of the pond. My hopes are that some enterprising person(s) will take over and maybe I will find wings to visit one day.
The Best!

KT Miniatures said...

Cheers Robin for all your help. Even though the day was tinged with a little sadness, it was still a lot of fun.

Thanks for stopping by Grandmommy. Yes, we are keeping our fingers crossed that some intrepid person can take over the fair. It would be such a shame if it closes.

Celia

Unknown said...

So sad to hear the news. This is the only fair I can be sure to be able to attend and I have absolutely loved it, have spent more than I can really afford, loved the friendly atmosphere hugely enjoyed admiring the wonderful work of so many skilled craftspeople. Now that there are so few stores and hardly any of them stock smaller scales it means one is limited to Internet purchases without the benefit of prior viewing.
I sincerely hope someone will come along to replace the wonderful Felicity and Ron. We really owe them for all their hard work.

Giac said...

Hello Celia,
It is such a shame that so many shows are disappearing.
Big hug
Giac