Back in September, I showed you the beginning of my special little attic room that I embarked on for our local club project and promised to show the development of it on here (click here to recap). Next February, the Market Town Miniaturists (MTM for short or basically the Thame Dolls House Club) will be celebrating it's 10th anniversary and we will be having a very special display at The Thame Dolls House & Miniatures Fair. We worked on the attic project again at last Monday's meeting so my project has moved on slightly....only ever so slightly though as KT Miniatures work has to take precedent over everything else.
This was where we were at a few weeks ago....
Progress is slow but it is moving along gradually....
The ceiling has been coated with Polyfilla roughly (I want to give the impression of a very old loft room - thoroughly aged). I had originally thought about using antique wallpaper on the walls but abandoned that idea and used a pale green emulsion instead. Then with some burnt umber and white acrylics the walls and ceiling were aged. I absolutely love this technique and completely indulged myself!
I loved the way that after sanding the Polyfilla, the white dust fell into the cracks onto the floorboards and gloriously aged the floorboards further.
The little landing corner was painted in offwhite and aged with acrylics. An old picture that I made years ago, that was broken and sitting in my "bit box", was repaired and stuck on the landing wall. Although you won't really see this when the door is fixed slightly ajar.....it will just give a hint of something else and add extra dimension to the scene. Instead of using commercially prepared door/ window architrave and skirting, I used plain wood and gave it the aged treatment with a top coat of white. I have purposely made the architrave around the door slightly wider than the more normal architrave....I have this mental picture of a really old room that I saw a while back on my travels with this wider frame.... so filed it away in my mind to use in this project.
This is where we are at now.....I still cannot decide whether to add a little something else behind the door or not but will have to decide soon as the door needs to be fixed into place...slightly ajar.
As this project progresses I will show more pics, however am about to start on another KT Miniatures commission, so this will have to be put away for the time being.