Restoration continues on my antique Christian Hacker dolls house.
Where the door should be, the previous owner had glued a thick pane of glass which is now too difficult to remove, and could potentially create a lot of damage if I tried to do so. So I decided to create a replacement mock door to slot in front instead. Research showed that the balcony door should be similar in design as the front door, but with an upper glass pane, so this is what I attempted to do.
A scaled plan was first created on paper.
Then the door was created using jelutong wood and wood glue. The lower panel's edges were chamfered with sandpaper.
The wood filler helped to add to the required texture, then where it had been applied it was sanded well.
Next, layers of acrylic paints in various mixed shades were added to bring the colour up to as near to the colour of the front door as possible.
Pencil crayons were used for highlighting around the panels, as seen on the front door. It was then finally sanded gently.
On completion I gave it a good coat of wax polish, then buffed it to a shine. The simple handle was created from old jewellery bits, aged with paint & fixed in place. The back of the door was given several coats of off-white paint and sanded well.
Then the door was fixed into place, in front of the glass.
The effect that I had been aiming for was to make the replacement balcony door look like it had always been there, and the result was about as near as I could get it.
Next on “The Restoration List” is a replacement balcony...so watch this space for Part Three!





.jpeg)


.jpeg)
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment