Tuesday 18 September 2018

Rare & Unusual Miniature Swaddled Doll!

This extremely unusual and rare miniature doll is believed to be of either Japanese or German origin, and has just gone up for sale on the "Old Dolls House Doll Page"  of KT Miniatures website. 

I have tried to research this unusual doll, but cannot find anything remotely like it at all. As I do not profess to be a miniature doll expert, I can only go on what the previous owner has told me, what I can see in front of me, and what I have or haven't  handled or seen in my 22 years of trading. 

And I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen anything like this before, so I think I can confidently agree with the previous owner and say that it really is quite rare! This is absolutely gorgeous.


At first I thought it may be German, but the longer I look at it, I can't help but wonder if it is possibly Japanese? The previous owner thinks that this is a  composition doll. The head and body are fixed, the two arms are movable and as you can see, it has been created to give the illusion that it is swaddled in a blanket....it is just exquisite!  


The painted features are simply wonderful and the overall patina gives this a truly antique feel to it. I don't think the photos do justice to the beauty of this little treasure. 

On the back there is some sort of maker's mark but I just cannot identify it? It seems to read something like NIL...or NII? If anyone can shed some light on the maker then I would love to hear from you. 

It measures 3 1/8" long and is in a good played with condition, so I suppose in dolls house scale terms, it is a little large. There are only one or two weeny minor nibbles.  Right at the base there is a manufacturer's hole. 
Isn't it gorgeous!!!

Please get in touch asap if you wish to purchase this. 
Celia

1 comment:

PILAR6373 said...

Es un verdadero tesoro!!!
Besos.