For those of you following this project, I am pleased to say that I have been able to do a little more and it has progressed! Am thoroughly enjoying working on it as I've complete freedom to take it into any direction that I wish as long as the concept of this scene is kept in mind.....which if you've read the previous posting, will see that it's based on my favourite nursery rhyme - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
The focus of this project has to be the view of the night sky through the window. Originally I'd planned to create a large Victorian sash window but eventually decided that it would block out too much of the sky behind.....so I plumped for a simple framed window with a mock opening window at the top.
This kind of window is a simple process, particularly as much of the construction is hidden on the rear side of the wall and remains unseen. Spare offcuts from my "bits box" were used for the construction.
On the rear of the wall, wooden supports were glued around each side of window edge from oddments. The sill was created from a 1/8" x 1" length cut wider than the actual hole and trimmed each end so that it sat snugly on the bottom edge of the window, plus the front edge protruded over the front edge by approx. 1/4". The two sides and top of the window were framed with oddments of 1/16" x 1/2" wood.
Next an interior frame made from 1/4"x 1/8" was created and fixed flush with the back of the outer frame. Then an inner frame was constructed from 1/8" x 1/8" wood pre-painted in brown which were actually leftover from a previous project. A bar to fit across was also cut and glued into place to give the illusion of a long upper window and lower window as seen in pic above.
The entire frame was painted in white acrylic-front, back and inside.
Then additional oddments of wood were added around the back of the frame in order to contain the clear plastic....(stiff plastic from any packaging will do).
To keep the plastic firmly in place, pre-painted long white supporting struts (made from 1/8" x 1/8" wood) are glued along the top and bottom.
Next, supporting batons were glued at a depth of 1 1/4" from the back, plus additional oddments of wood were glued to top and bottom of rear wall....then the wall was glued into place.
A strip of grey cardboard was cut the width of the box and 3 1/2" deep then glued at an angle to create a slanted ceiling...just to give a little more interest.
The ceiling and walls were thoroughly covered with quick drying acrylic primer, then the walls were painted in some very pale yellow emulsion that I had knocking around my workroom.
Here is the room with just one coat of yellow.....and that is as far as I've got. Followers of KT Miniatures will know that I'm not one for pristine walls and am itching to get cracking on the aging bit but this will have to be it for now.
TO BE CONTINUED ANOTHER DAY.....
Although I hope to make most of the interior furnishings myself including bed...am off to Kensington Dolls House Fair in London tomorrow as a visitor...and I may treat myself to something......we shall see.